Since the development ofBlender is something I follow as much as I can, and I decided maybe I should publish and share what’s happening over here aswel.
Some things I understand, some others I don’t, but it’s great fun to hear about what’s going on in the development of the future versions, so feel free to ask me about it, if I know the answer i’ll surely help you out.
Here are the notes from today’s meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders 1) Targets for the next release
– The planning and target list: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.7 – Dalai Felinto suggests to bring some of the 2.8 DNA changes into 2.79 for forward compatibility. This especially related to the new layer system.
– Sergey Sharybin: Cycles Shadow Catcher waits final check from Lukas Stockner. All feedback addressed now. Prem Nirved looks into OpenCL Split kernel support for Shadow Catcher.
– Reminder to ALWAYS have the (release log) wiki docs ready before merging in master! https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79 – GPU notes for Cycles in 2.79:
– This will likely be the last one supporting NVidia GTX 5xx cards (and older).
– AMD OpenCL: older cards (GCN 1) won’t work after all the optimizations. Note: this year GCN 5 gets released. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next 2) Blender 2.8 projects
– Dalai has a patch for using IDProperties for collections: https://developer.blender.org/D2563
– A viewport project plan update goes to code.blender.org this week. Same goes for workflow and ‘101’.
– UPBGE team is stand by to help getting the GE work in 2.8. This work can only start when viewport project is more mature and defined. We stay tuned. 3) Other projects
– Monday students can start submitting for GSoC 17! We have about 15 potential mentor candidates who review proposals.
Let me know if you want to help reviewing and mentor.